Dating in shropshire uk

It was also in this period that Edward VI gave permission for the foundation of a free school, which was later to become Shrewsbury School.During the English Civil War, the town was a Royalist stronghold and only fell to Parliament forces after they were let in by a parliamentarian sympathiser at the St Mary's Water Gate (now also known as Traitor's Gate).

dating in shropshire uk-43

St Chad's Church, then in a low-lying part of the town centre, collapsed in 1788 after attempts to expand the crypt compromised the structural integrity of the tower above; it was, however, rebuilt just four years later as a large neo-classical round church in a new and more elevated location close to The Quarry.

In the period directly after Napoleon's surrender after Waterloo (18 June 1815), the town's own 53rd (Shropshire) Regiment of Foot was sent to guard him in his exile on St Helena.

Local soldier and statesman Robert Clive was Shrewsbury's MP from 1762 until his death in 1774.

Clive also served once as the town's mayor in 1762.

The town has two large expanding business parks, Shrewsbury Business Park by the A5 in the southeast and Battlefield Enterprise Park in the north.

There are many residential developments currently under construction in the town to cater for the increasing numbers of people wishing to live in the town, which is a popular place to commute to Telford, Wolverhampton and Birmingham from.Despite this, Shrewsbury thrived throughout the 16th and 17th centuries; largely due to the town's fortuitous location, which allowed it to control the Welsh wool trade.As a result, a number of grand edifices, including the Ireland's Mansion (built 1575) and Draper's Hall (1658), were constructed.Located 9 miles (14 km) east of the Welsh border, Shrewsbury serves as the commercial centre for Shropshire and mid-Wales, with a retail output of over £299 million per year and light industry and distribution centres, such as Battlefield Enterprise Park, on the outskirts.The A5 and A49 trunk roads come together as the town's by-pass, and five railway lines meet at Shrewsbury railway station.Its importance was officially recognised in the 1950s, resulting in it becoming a Grade I listed building.

Tags: , ,